On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Leonidas . <leonidas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I have written a kernel module which implements a char device. An userspace
> app
> is supposed to get data from my module and then dump it into a file for
> further processing.
>
> The kind of data which kernel module is going to pass to userspace is going
> to be a 4K buffer,
> and the data traffic is not going to be really heavy, meaning may be a 4K
> buffer every 1 min or so.
> I am not very sure though, but certainly not heavy traffic the way they
> describe for network traffic etc.
>
> And this data needs to be logged to a file either from kernel or userspace
> and an userspace all will work
> on that data. This data needs to be logged as soon as it arrives meaning, I
> might not be able to write it to
> /proc since from module I can update /proc only when user actually accesses
> it. This data needs to be
> static in nature, meaning I get one error and I write it to a file somehow
> and user can see it anytime.
>
> I hope I have described the situation clearly. I have explored some
> mechanism like ioctls, mmaping the
> kernel buffer etc but all these would require the user module to poll or
> notified somehow by kernel that
> the data is available. I dont want the user module to poll.
>

> -Leo.

When we do a printk it writes to kernel log buffer, correct? This is real in
time operation i.e. as soon as we do a
printk the messages get logged. Now this log file can be accesses from
/var/log/messages right? How is this done?

I want to so something similar, so I can log my messages to a seprate file
which is going to stay around so user can
see at across reboots as well.

-Leo.