On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Peter Teoh <htmldevelo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/09, Rik van Riel <r...@nl.linux.org> wrote:
>> Peter Teoh wrote:
>>
>> > now the pdflush is deprecated by per-bdi writeout.   Can I know
>> > conceptually, in a few sentences, what are the key features that
>> > enable per-bdi writeout to be faster than pdflush?
>> >

>> Yes.  LWN has a great article on the per-bdi writeout changes.
>>

> yes, thank you Rik, I saw this:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/326552/
>
> since one of the key features is optimization for per-spindle
> flushing, now I wonder what are the performance enhancement will be
> for SSDs, as they do have spindle?
>
> Thansk again for the pointer!!!

Hi Rik, Peter,

Thanks for sharing! Peter, I think spindle is used just as another
word for slow device which I guess could be any other type of slow
storage medium like iSCSI or loop over NFS.

But I have a question with the per-bdi writeout, how does it solve the
problem of request starvation, Wont the writeback threads be starved
anyway if users kept writing to the device?

Thanks,
-Joel