In the 2.6 kernel, it is possible to turn off
all interrupt handling on the current processor with either of the following
two func-
tions (which are defined in <asm/system.h>):

     void local_irq_save(unsigned long flags);
     void local_irq_disable(void);

A call to local_irq_save disables interrupt delivery on the current
processor after sav-
ing the current interrupt state into flags. Note that flags is passed
directly, not by
pointer. local_irq_disable shuts off local interrupt delivery without saving
the state;
you should use this version only if you know that interrupts have not
already been
disabled elsewhere.