Hi!

On 20:00 Sat 19 Dec     , er krishna wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a confusion because I am new to device driver thats' why I am asking
> this question ? what is this private data in all types of device structure
> like netdev, blkdev and so on ? what is the actual use of it ?

The generic device structs are ... generic. They are more an interface between
your driver and the upper layers. In many cases you need to store some device
specific data. If you have a network interface, you need to know where packets
have to go. The alternative would be to implement a per-driver "table" which
maps between the generic device structs and your per-device data. However, the
drivers will be more complex and the table lookups might be slow things down.

> what will
> happen if I don't use it ? And why should I use it ?

If you do not need them, you will not need to use them and nothing will
happen.

        -Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com