Hi Mulyadi Santosa,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.sant...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > I am trying to learn details of Linux kernel using virtualbox.
> >
> > I have compiled my kernel for i386_defconfig and with the following
> values
> > set,
> >
> > (*) CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> >
> > (*) CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/workspace/tmp/initramfs"
> >
> > My basic filesystem with busybox utility is created under
> > "/workspace/tmp/initramfs" which is given as the value for
> > CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE.
>
> I am not trying to divert your study focus, but AFAIK it's easier in
> Qemu. Try something like:
> qemu -kernel your-kernel-image -initrd your-initramfs
>
> --

Thanks, this worked :).
With socat to create virtualport, I was also able to get the debug messages
printed on the virtual serial console.

Actually myself & my friends are trying to help some juniors start of in
this path of learning Linux Internals by experimentation, without the need
of a separate h/w. Hence I was trying to get Linux booting off Virtualbox
with bare minimal filesystem as ISO image (and without the complexity of
bootloaders).

And qemu with its speed and simplicity of usage, would perfectly fit the
bill. Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Regards,
Subbu