On 10/12/2010 07:07 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

If you take the autorouter off the table, then the question becomes, "is
there a downside to having granularity that is finer than you need?"
This is a question, not a suggestion.

Probably not a down side - with memory getting ever cheaper, I would error on the side of wasting a bit of memory for now. IMO staying integer is a really good idea. Floating point always sounds like a good idea until you use it. ( computer models that use loops with FP can prove anything you want with a bit of fudging).

I wonder if it occurred to others - if the inch had been defined as 25.6 instead of 25.4/mm this problem would have been quite different. I do think the inch will die out someday. In the mean time don't confuse a 0603 with a 0603.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail k...@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

There are four kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, statistics, and computer
models.
-kps With due credit to Benjamin Disraeli