On 11/26/2011 11:30 AM, Vladimir Uryvaev wrote:
> At Saturday 26 of November 2011 18:56:40 from Dick Hollenbeck:
>> #define MAX_INT 2147483647
>>
>> I count 10 digits.
>>
>> When we scale, regardless of the scaling factor, we still have 10
>> significant digits of trustworthy information, not more.  The "%.10g"
>> format string will truncate trailing zeros, whereas %f does not.  This
>> gives you the human readability.
> May be I'm not human, but for me as being scientist and engineer it sound
> weird to truncate significant digits.
> 1, 1.0, 1.00 are different for me, as they carry different precision. So I'm
> all
> for %*f and to keep all significant digits, whatever they are, zeroes, or not.

Well using micrometers in the files is still an option, this will mean that
most numbers
will be integers without decimal points.

I'll prepare a couple of board files and post them as examples.

It might be a compromise, but I think the files might be bigger.

We'll see.  No need to guess.

And yes, it does not address your concern about significant digits.  Just
remember 10.  It
will always be 10, or 9.5 actually, until we move off the 32 bit BIU.

Dick