> Like so many suggestions, they are often good ideas that never get done,
> because they do
> not rise to a sufficient level of need within an individual capable of doing
> the work.

> This is especially true in free software, which in fact is never free.

Feature bounties might be a workable solution for "boring" work. I'm quite
confident I'm not he only one doing SMPS design on KiCad, and would be willing
to invest about two hours worth at your rate for a few features (just
guesstimating from senior sw developers contracting rates). I also feel that
that two hours is quite small compensation for the actual effort going in, so I
see there is a need for other investors.

> Another thing you can do with this is add it to the bug list as a "wishlist"
> item.

Will do that.

> Otherwise it might get lost on the mailing list.  It is not something we can
> simply add to
> the board  file, and then hope that PCBNEW magically understands as it reads
> it.

My intention was not to demand any implementation, but just find ways to
support the feature in the file format currently being defined. Reasoning is
"commenting on the new file format" to avoid a second design round (which would
probably get a lot of opposition) and save users from the hassle on multiple
format versions. Error messages like "This feature is supported on file format
version 1.0.2.003b+" might get annoying...

> I'm sure you understand that this is a minor hi-jacking of the subject
> thread, but not a
> bad idea.

The only reason of pushing it in this thread is above, even though I agree it
may have been better to start separate feature thread.

I would also like to thank you, Wayne, JP and others for great advances in
KiCad.
-Vesa