Lorenzo,

The page selection dialog was broken in rev 4081 by a change which collapsed

was from "USLedger" to "US Ledger".

There are specific spellings of page sizes that are used in the PAGE_INFO class.
There are specific techniques used to parse these strings.  Adding a space is a
wreckless
change in my mind.  Which caused the page selection dialog to not work when
selecting US
paper sizes.

I think it is best if you check and see who wrote the code that you are
changing, and if
it was me, ask first before changing it. Others may ask the same of you.  This
is now
about 3 hours time I have spent reversing out changes you have made in the last
week.

I am not in the mood for any more.

Jean-Pierre,

I do not see the value in trying to translate a name like "USLedger",
especially since it
has become a keyword in our data files.  This is a bad trend that I would like
to nip in
the bud, and that was why I am resistant to translating layer names which are
for the
non-copper layers.  Certain names do not need to be either translated or
customized,
especially if they are keywords in our datafiles.  We introduce bugs and
problems and
confusion having both a keyword and a translated keyword.  Generally if it is a
short
purposeful noun or verb which is also used as a keyword, we should think twice
about
introducing translations for it.

Take a look at line 54 in common/dialogs/dialog_page_settings.cpp
It is way beyond my comprehension why these paper sizes have to be translated.
This was the bait that Lorenzo took when he changed the spelling of these magic
strings.

The purpose of human readable datafiles is that humans can read them.  If they
are never
asked to encounter the keywords used in the datafiles before reading them, how
are they
then readable?  And if they are readable anyways, why cannot somebody
understand a
universal paper size string, untranslated?

Dick

rant over, for now.  It is extremely discouraging that when I go to use KiCad
as an actual
user, and it does not work.  And code that I wrote is broken by someone else.

Show some respect for the choices I have made, by at least asking for an
explanation please.