On 06/11/2013 07:10 AM, Chris Morgan wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Maciej Suminski <maciej.sumin...@cern.ch
> <mailto:maciej.sumin...@cern.ch>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Chris,
>

>     On 06/11/2013 02:11 AM, Chris Morgan wrote:
>
>         - Is the rewrite by CERN going to cause all of this dragging/moving
> code
>         to be rewritten?
>

>     Yes. In the future it is going to be implemented using tool framework (if
> you want to
>     know more details, you may have a look at
>
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/__cern-kicad/wiki/WorkPackages#__5-Tool-framework
>
> <http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cern-kicad/wiki/WorkPackages#5-Tool-framework>).
>     Currently dragged items are XORed on every move. GAL allows to draw them
> using a
>     different method - usage of layers made it possible to display items in a
> more natural
>     way (ie. one on the top of another with blending colors).
>     Right now, I am still working on the View component (point 3 on the
> list), but
>     hopefully I will have it finished by the first weekend of July. Then, the
> next thing
>     would be the tool framework.
>
>     Kind regards,
>     --
>     Maciej SumiƄski
>     CERN BE-CO-HT
>     e-mail: maciej.sumin...@cern.ch <mailto:maciej.sumin...@cern.ch>
>     phone: +41 22 767 2251 <tel:%2B41%2022%20767%202251>

> Ahh. Dick, maybe it makes sense to wait until this work is done and simply
> feed the idea
> forward to Maciej for the rework, rather than doing the work twice. The
> current pan mode
> is usable.

We have bugs a) and b).

The way the question was asked begged for a yes/no answer, and was too general:

    "all this dragging/moving code" ....

The truth is likely to be somewhere between yes and no, since wx dictates much
of the
event realm for a window of any kind, even either kind of GAL window, as far as
scrolling
is concerned.  What one does in those event handlers is a slightly different
topic.
(Clearly re-drawing is different.)

But the viewport abstraction I assume stays, and I think we still have bugs a)
and b).
Maybe if the redrawing operation itself is the only difference, and can be
abstracted,
then most of the contemplated bug fixing code can be re-used.

Since Maciej was not involved at the detail you and I were into the specifics
of the
issue, and the question was too general, begging for a yes/no answer, I fear
the two of
you have talked past each other, and I have to wonder if his answer to a
general question
should be interpreted literally.

But I have already said that I think the bug is not urgent, since the user
almost has to
be trying to break something.  It is however important in my opinion.