On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 09:24:59AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Maybe a way forward is for you to state why wxEvtHandler is not up to the
> task, without
> using the explanation, "it is part of wx".

I don't see either why wxEvtHandler is not enough for his plan. OTOH
since I don't know wx I had already thinked about some ad-hoc solution;
I don't know if it can do everything it need to be done.

IF and only if it need to only process user action events from what
I have read it should be able to do its work (that's what is designed
for!). If something more complex need to pass thru it (maybe high-level
object selection events or something, I have no idea...) then maybe some
evaluation is needed.

I think that a prototype/dummy example/technology demo would be in order
to evaluate the thing.

> Ultimately, KiCad is built on wx, and to try and deny that seems like a
> pursuit without a
> reward.  If and when you want to port KiCad to Qt, then replace wxEvtHandler
> then.

wx data structures suck, so we use STL, for example. And Qt event
routing is completely different (but I don't think that would be his
reason). boost signals could be an option too (I'm not endorsing them,
I only know they exist!). I don't exactly like boost but I don't like
C++ either, so it's an acquired taste...

Anyway, writing event dispatching code is one of the most boring thing
in the world (maybe only second to tallying totals in cobol for
a print), so a ready to use solution would be desiderable.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl