The allowance of overlapping pads in the DRC is pretty essential at
the moment because KiCad cannot do polygon pads or multiple drill
holes (as Wayne pointed out). Therefore when people require unusual
pad shapes they end up making them out of overlapping pads, relying on
the current behaviour.

However, this is always within the same module. Overlapping pads with
the same net in different modules is probably a case we should be
flagging with the DRC. So I think it would be better to add to this
check to make sure the pads are in the same module in order to pass.
If the pads are on the same net but in different modules, that should
be considered an error/warning.

That's my opinion at least. This would improve the DRC results while
not creating a lot of noise for essentially valid designs.

Best Regards,

Brian.