On 5 February 2014 03:07, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> ...snip...
>
> I sent the other link very much on purpose, as on that page, a few
> paragraphs in is a link to this page:
> http://www.inkscape.org/en/develop/using-git-repositories/
>
> in other words, fill your boots, work with Git on the KiCad codebase
> if you want, there should be nothing stopping you. Yes, we could
> document this feature ourselves, but none of the lead developers (as
> far as I'm aware) use git-bzr-ng for developing with git branches.
>
> You should find that any of your preferred Git workflows are possible
> using git-bzr-ng. If you have the time, please try the git workflow
> and see if it does work for you. If it does, then great - we can make
> a big song and dance about it and let everyone know that they can
> develop with Git workflows, it would be valuable information for us!
>
> Just email a unified patch per feature (preferably not a patch set,
> because they're harder to review quickly) to the developers list
> starting the subject with PATCH:
>
> Thank-you for your interest, and taking the time to join the
> developers list and discuss...
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brian.

There is another option for people who want to use Git: a mirror. There is
a mirror under the KiCad user account (the one with all the libraries) on
GitHub:

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror

However, it usually seems to be out of date, and very sporadically updated.
For some time, I have had a mirror under my account:

https://github.com/blairbonnett-mirrors/kicad

This is synchronised to the product series of the Bazaar repository every
10 minutes by a script on my server. Any patches generated against this
mirror should be able to be applied against the Bazaar repo quite happily.

One thing that I will have a go at doing shortly is adding the bzr revision
numbers to the commit messages in GitHub. The mirror is updated by bzr
fast-export and git fast-import; I am not sure if this process is
customisable but I will try to figure something out.

Oh, and I would be quite happy to shift my mirror to the kicad account and
continue to auto-update that. My concern would be more about it getting
swamped by the number of library repos there -- it was hard to find it
amongst the list of repos even when I knew it was there somewhere. I
suppose if it is linked in a wiki page / website this is less of a concern.

Regards,
Blair