On 10 September 2014 16:14, Lorenzo Marcantonio
<l.marcanto...@logossrl.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 03:57:51PM +0100, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>> Yep, I understood all that before I proposed the names.
>
> Then why not IgnoreMTextsOnFront and IgnoreMTextsOnBack ? Cu has no
> relationship with the meaning for the modules, it's only a coding
> artifact/convention.

The world survives on convention. If that is ours, why invent new?

>> Hopefully here you mean IsBackLayer(module->GetLayer()) otherwise
>> you're breaking stuff. I don't really have an opinion about the test
>> for the front or back layer. I don't see any ambiguity in the == F_Cu
>> or == B_Cu test against the module's layer.
>
> No, that was intended. The problem is this: first of all IsBackLayer (or
> IsFrontLayer) on the module layer is wasted since that can only be F_Cu
> or B_Cu; the semantic I asked before is, what of the following ones is
> the intended behaviour:
>
> a) text on a module, where the module is placed on the front/back side
>   (current behaviour)

this one. I mentioned that in each of my mails I think. (b) breaks the
ONLY current use of these settings as far as a quick grep suggested
anyway.

> or
>
> b) text on a module, where the text is on a layer in the front/back side
>   (since a module front mounted can be usefully have text on the back;
>   example: a reverse mount trimmer)
>
> In other words: in the proposed names IgnoreMTextsOnFront and
> IgnoreMTextsOnBack the 'OnFront' and 'OnBack' part refers to the module
> (now) or the text (possibly)?
>
> Both of these could have their use, of course.
>
>> The collector must exclude ALL text in a module (forget about what
>> layer that text is on) when IgnoreMTextsOnCopper() returns true.
>
> Need to look yet at this OnCopper predicate
>
>> If you are getting confused between text layers and module layers then
>> you can further play around with the function name to something like
>>
>>     IgnoreTextInModulesOnF_Cu()
>>     IgnoreTextInModulesOnB_Cu()
>
> IgnoreTextInModulesOnFront and IgnoreTextInModulesOnBack accurately
> describe the current behaviour (as I said the Cu part makes no sense).
>
> IgnoreFrontTextInModules and IgnoreBackTextInModules describes the other
> behaviour.
>
>> Yep, or at least that's what grep says!
>
> Then I'll look at it and decide the best name :P

Good, I think we're going round in circles on a very simple couple of
functions with clearly defined use. :)

Best Regards,

Brian.