On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambau...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3/26/2015 3:20 PM, Mark Roszko wrote:
> > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.html
> >
> > GNU's own explanation.
> >

> Thanks for the reference.  This definitely makes things a bit clearer.
> Since this is directly from the FSF and gnu.org, I feel better about any
> difference between the licenses.

My wording of the initial message must have been vague. AGPLv3 does not
prohibit
commercial use, but SINTEF as the copyright holder only allows AGPLv3 use if
the application is not  a commercial cloud service. I think the conditions
are
fair; many of the algorithms involved in NURBS manipulation are not trivial
and you pay a small fortune to use third party software which manipulates
such
data. So as I've said before, if anyone wants to use the library within a
cloud
service the license compliance is their issue to sort out, but in all cases
I know
of (after all I don't know of anyone running KiCad as a cloud service) this
will not
be a problem, not even for corporate users like me who use KiCad as their
tool
for commercial designs. Alternatively you can require me to make
modifications
to the IGES library so that it can be built without SISL, but I'd really
prefer to
use SISL and anyone who wants to run a cloud service can either sort out a
license or remove IGES export support.

- Cirilo