#1 is the sanest option, it would be nice if there was an indication
in the editing dialog that there's a global override when you
view/edit them. Something like coloring them red and putting a warning
message in the bottom of the dialog like "Settings marked in red are
currently overridden by externally set environment variables", maybe
pointing to an online help topic discussing the issue.