The REPORTER class (the base class for all *_REPORTER classes) is simply
a wxString sink object for status messages.  In some ways it is like a
C++ output stream.  This was done so that low level objects do not need
to now anything about UI controls which we had in the past.  You can
derive any class you want for displaying a wxString and transparently
pass it to a function that takes a REPORTER object to redirect the
output to where ever you want it.