On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:12:21PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 6/26/2015 8:02 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> > The warning is definitely valid, for the reason I explained. You're
> > comparing a negative value to a value that is allowed to (and explicitly
> > declared to, in some compiler versions according to a preprocessor
> > directive) be unsigned. Compilers can, and some will, assume that the
> > comparison is false because an unsigned value can never be negative.
> > This isn't a bogus warning.
>
> While agree with you on a technical level, reality may be somewhat
> different.  Do you have any evidence that the existing code is producing
> buggy behavioral results within the layer manipulation code that uses
> this enumeration?  If so, than this patch is a no brainer and I will
> commit it.  If not, it fixes nothing other than a compiler warning.

Nope - I specifically said, it doesn't produce any known bugs _now_, but
it will with different compilers or compiler settings and so is a
potential trap for the future.

I will definitely argue that this patch is a Good Thing and cleans up
the code - the way it's written now is quite bizarre - but if you want
to do only /true/ bugfixes and not cleanup until stable, that's fine by
me, I'll sit on it.

> > In any case, I've no problem with only posting true bugfix patches from
> > now on.
>
> Not from now on.  Only until after the stable release.  Once the stable
> release is done, we can resume with new features and compiler warning fixes.

Yeah, that's what I meant :)