My thoughts on that are that we should create a 2D geometry toolkit and
change pad definitions to use defined outlines consisting of arcs and line
segments.  There will be a significant penalty to DRC in terms of increased
calculations but such a toolkit will also make it possible for us to
implement things like the 'teardrop' shape as pads meet tracks. It will
also allow us to rethink tracks and possibly add direct support for the
types we see with microwave work with beveled corners etc - we can
certainly improve the file formatting of the length tuning code by
introducing tracks which are circular arcs (eliminate many hundreds of
straight segments approximating an arc). A 2D geom toolkit would also allow
us to have a pad shape editor so people could define their own pad shapes
when they need to. In principle we can make the pads as absurd as we wish -
even have concave polygons for pads. The down side of course is that it
would be a *huge* task because of the changes required in pcbnew - but the
2D geom kit we require shouldn't be too difficult to implement.