With the rapid changes in the kicad footprint libraries there is a chance
that
people will have trouble with using the demo projects such as pic_demo and
video. When (if?) the initial 3D refactor code is merged the new 3d model
resolver will make it possible to update these demo projects so that all the
required models are within the project directory. Some advantages I see to
this are:

1. demo projects are self-contained; they are not hostage to changes in the
online libraries and users do not have to make configuration changes or
download other files.

2. in the pic_demo project especially, we can replace many of the models
with models from my kicad_3d_models project (color coded resistors,
glass encased DO-35 diodes, better DIP models).

3. we can also include my example scripts to generate IDF component
outline files and the IDF Export feature will hopefully receive more
attention; the preview of the IDF outlines will be very helpful to IDF
users.
I had produced IDF outlines for the pic_demo and video projects but
without the new 3D model resolver it was not possible to introduce these
models to the demo projects in a sensible way.

Any comments on the idea of making these demo projects self-contained?

- Cirilo