On 23.01.2016 18:51, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> for a short term solution also an older Boost version can be used for Windows
> - or Tom's patch - it's at least not a blocker.
> I'm guessing Tom could do more productive stuff :)
>
> For the long term solution it's of course possible to drop the coroutines
> completely and use the well known event-driven finite-state machines
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event-driven_finite-state_machine) - I think
> that's what you're meaning with the second suggestion.
>
> I can do this job, because I've implemented a lot of them in various
> languages - but this needs more time and I'd have to touch more files. The
> tool framework uses already an event system and most tools with coroutines
> look to me simplistic (they have an init part, an event loop and some
> finishing instructions).
> Makes of course only sense, if we have an agreement, would an example be
> helpful?

Hi guys,

I found the issue in Boost causing crashes on x86_64 windows builds.

Now I have no doubt why Windows Boost developers may have a very good
reason to hate the x86 GNU assembler (well, not the tool itself but its
infamous AT&T syntax). Look at the code below:

mov $0x8, %rcx
mov 0x8, %rcx

Translated to a more human-readable form, these two lines mean:

mov rcx, 0x8
mov rcx, qword [ds:0x8]

One dollar sign makes a huge difference... Perhaps somebody in boost
community just translated the MASM files to GAS without even testing them.

Patch in progress, I'll send it both to MSYS & Boost devs.

Cheers,
Tom