On 04/14/2016 08:27 PM, Vesa Solonen wrote:
> 14/04/16, 13:00, Mário Luzeiro kirjoitti:
>
>> But it may suffer from scaling issues, as we can see in your screenshots in
>> the very small size (they are not render properly, C2: pin 1.. etc)
>> So you may need to pre-render the font in difference sizes (to different
>> textures) to be used the appropriate one in the final render.
>>
>> I do believe it should be possible to also cache the board text (comments,
>> silk..etc) but I believe that will be more challenged...
>> (this may need different hierarchically caches.. and complexity raise)
>
> Orson, please have a look how rendering is done on gEDA gschem. IIRC
> font rendering is by Peter Clifton and he went on to optimize stroke
> (pixel)grid fitting, etc. The actual renderer is Cairo, but could we use
> Cairo to make the font textures for OpenGL display?
>
> -Vesa

I have just asked Peter for details, I am curious about his method. I am
not sure if using Cairo will have a meaningful impact here. The bitmap
font generator I use has also offers different ways of font smoothing.
Perhaps there is something else that Peter has applied, but if it is
Pango/Cairo combination then I would rather avoid it in OpenGL.

Regards,
Orson