On 6/28/2016 12:07 PM, Michael Steinberg wrote:

> Am 28.06.2016 um 17:52 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> Orson,
>>
>> Since this mostly effects the new tool framework, I'll defer to your
>> judgement as to whether or not to commit this patch.  I don't have a
>> strong opinion one way or the other since we will not be able to
>> completely eliminate boost until C++ supports context switching.
>
> Hello Wayne,
>
> also boost::optional will be left as well, since std::optional is only
> available in c++14.

That means we should be able to get rid of boost::optional in the
2020-2021 time frame. :)  It always take a while for the compiler
developers to catch up to the standards.

> That being said: the std implementations usually come dircetly from the
> compiler vendors and are supposedly lighter on the compiler, without all
> the necessary macro-indirection-stuff in boost trying to get it to
> compile on all platforms and all compilers and all versions with all bugs.

Yes, but the boost stuff is proven on all of the platforms we support.
The new C++ stuff is still an unknown from compiler to compiler.  It's
not like there has never been a broken standard C++ compiler feature.
We need to evaluate this thoroughly before we kick boost to the curb.
In the end, using the C++ standard library is the way to go.