Hi,

On 29.06.2016 11:26, Fabrizio Tappero wrote:

> sudo apt-get install kicad

> ā€‹D
> oing so kicad libs do not get installed and furthermore the version of
> KiCad that you get will inevitably complain about libs not being installed
> ā€‹. Sā€‹
> ome people have complained about it.

In Debian, you get a really ancient version by default, because that was
the current stable release at the time of the jessie freeze. You can get
4.0.2 from the backports.org archive, as documented on the Debian
download pages. The changes to 4.0.3 are mostly relevant for MacOS, so
we haven't bothered to update the package.

The libraries are only missing in the PPA packages, because they are
packaged separately in that version. The regular Debian packages pull in
the "kicad-common" package, which contains the libraries.

The error message about the missing libraries happens if kicad is
configured to use libraries from github -- here a reorganization has
taken place after the release. It would be a good idea to tell people
how to adjust their global footprint path.

> sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-4

That is Ubuntu specific, and while I generally trust Jean-Samuel to do
good work, I'd be wary to install it on anything but Ubuntu. For Ubuntu
xenial and yakkety, the version shipped with Ubuntu universe is good for
users.

I'm also wary of pointing users at the PPA. While I trust Jean-Samuel to
make good packages, his efforts are not at all coordinated with the
normal packaging effort, and the fact that he has a different package
split will lead to problems for users (if you switch from the PPA to
Debian packages, you will get file conflicts, because "kicad-library"
remains behind, for example).

> I know that libraries installed by default might be an option that some
> people might not like. The truth however, I think, is that the patience
> of people who try out kicad for the first time should not be tested.

Yes, the experience could be better.

> I also would like to suggest to include the libs in the Windows and OSX
> installer.

At least the Windows installer has the libraries included. OS X should
have them too, but I haven't checked.

> On a side note. On Ubuntu and similar, in 4.0 verison, there is a
> "kicad-common" package that does not seem to be necessary and if
> installed actually removes the main kicad package. Not sure what is
> happening there.

Conflict between the PPA and the main distribution. That happens because
the PPA and the main distribution are not coordinated.

If you use a PPA, you need to make sure that you pull all the packages
you need from there -- mixing and matching will not work. The
"kicad-common" package contains all the footprints and libraries, but in
a location not expected by the kicad binaries from the PPA.

   Simon