Hi Chris,

I'm not an expert, but based on what I've learned playing with GAL so far...
As it stands right now, you will have to keep around an EDA_DRAW_PANEL_GAL,
because as far as I can tell there is too much interdependence between the
underlying GAL context, VIEW, and the draw panel.
I am not familiar enough with wxWidgets to know what would happen if you
tried to keep a single draw panel widget around, and attach/detach it from
the component selector dynamically.  But, if that is supported, you should
be able to have your GAL panel start/stop drawing as needed.

-Jon