Could you test this patch, and see if it changes something in performance
issues in pcbnew?
Thanks.

Now I'm scratching my head here. I rolled the patch back and the subjective framerate did not change back to the slow one.

I can confirm that perf reports that the top call chain used to be active about 42% of the time, 28% of which was BuildSheetList and is now active about 16% of the time. So a definitive internal improvement.

For the interactivity, I don't know. It's interactive now and was not before I built your patch but very possibly my interactivity problem was something else. I was running a release build off of master from the last couple days.