Hi Jon,

thanks a lot for your help.

On 12/05/2017 03:51 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
> For (2), the PCB_BASE_FRAME methods are for the legacy canvas, so I
> wouldn't worry about implementing your feature there if I were you,
> since it will eventually be removed.
> The RATSNEST_VIEWITEM is what is used on the GAL (OpenGL/Cairo) canvases.
>
> Regarding the layer, you could use LAYER_GP_OVERLAY for prototyping, but
> you are right that (at the moment) you can't add layers at runtime.
> If you think that all of the simulation outputs can be drawn with a
> single graphics layer, I think it is perfectly reasonable for you to
> expand the enum with another layer definition.
> You could use this new layer for your triangle mesh drawing, and then
> use LAYER_GP_OVERLAY if you wanted to add any annotations to the
> graphics perhaps? (meaning: measurements, etc, as is done with the
> RULER_ITEM)

Following the structure of the RATSNEST_VIEWITEM, I created a
SI_MESH_VIEWITEM which should display the triangle mesh used in
simulation. At the moment, my SI_MESH_VIEWITEM only displays a cross at
position (0,0). It works fine for Cairo and OpenGL canvas.
Is it possible to make the legacy canvas also use the
VIEW_ITEM::ViewDraw() function?

You can find my source code at
https://github.com/andreasbuhr/kicad/commits/add_triangle_meshing

thanks and best regards,