> On Feb 8, 2018, at 3:42 AM, Jeff Young <j...@rokeby.ie> wrote:
>
> > … or "Set default text editor and PDF viewer programs to open files from
> > KiCad”
>
> +1

One could interpret “open files from KiCad” as being “Open files created by
KiCad.”

The point I was trying to make, and perhaps wasn’t clear on, is that
applications should never modify operating-system defaults that affect other
applications. Thus saying “open files from (within) KiCad” is unnecessary, as
it is understood that this setting affects performing this operation from
within Kicad only.

I suppose, further, that this whole thing about choosing which PDF viewer and
which text editor to use is completely unnecessary. Why _wouldn’t_ KiCad open
text files in the OS default text editor? Why _wouldn’t_ you want it to open
PDF files in the OS default PDF viewer? I set those defaults in the OS for a
reason, and I expect applications to uses those defaults.

-a