Just adding another opinion to the mix here.

%20 does not make the current file format any more difficult to read than it already is. The current format can be parsed by a human and edited with a text editor. That's good, and that's all you need.

\x20 (which is what you would use if you were to use a \ escape format that is in wide use) is the same for readability.

\<space> is cleaner visually but will confuse more people as there are less tools (mostly shells) that use this escape.

All have the potential to clash with existing files in the wild.

If you tweak the format then you introduce file migration headaches and issues for tools that read kicad files directly (I have a few and I don't think I'm the only one.)

Please just leave it as it is (no spaces) until 6.