Jeff,In your case of moving a part, it would be better to select move tool,
move one or more parts, then dismiss to return to routing. In complex boards,
routing a trace often involve moving more than one part.
Just my two cents after using cad tools for 30 years.
Jean-Paul N1JPL

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM, Jeff Young<j...@rokeby.ie> wrote:   Hi
Wayne,

> On 14 Jun 2019, at 14:42, Wayne Stambaugh <stambau...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/14/19 7:59 AM, Jeff Young wrote:
>> My plan had been to support both two-step (first selects tool; second draws
>> object) and immediate (always draws) actions, and let the user assign the
>> hotkey to the one they prefer.
>>
>> But I’m discovering a bunch of things that are unsettling about it.  It hard
>> to discover if we chose the default option that’s not the one you wanted.
>> Which actions does the Place menu show?  It kind of has to do a select-tool
>> action, but that’s inconsistent if the tool is already selected.  And to
>> make matters worse, you’d really like to show the immediate hotkeys there
>> because that’s the first place people will look.
>
> This was why I suggested that we have separate hotkey vs menu
> accelerator paradigm but that was dismissed.  Your statement above
> illustrates why they are separate actions.  I'm not sure what that
> answer is here but we seem no closer to solving the issue.
>

>> Then I had an epiphany: it’s easy enough to distinguish select-tool from
>> draw-object contextually (did they use the menu or not?); the real
>> differentiator between two-step and immediate is whether or not the tool
>> remains selected after the object is drawn.
>
> How about this?  If the previous tool was the select tool, then the
> hotkey selected drawing tool remains active until dismissed.  If the
> previous tool was not the selection tool, do a one shot action and
> return to the previously selected tool when the hotkey action is
> complete.  This would most closely mimic the legacy tool behavior which
> a significant number of users seem to prefer.

I think I’d find it annoying that it didn’t work the same when the select tool
was active.  Is there a reason to make it special?

Cheers,
Jeff.