On 10/9/19 12:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> The lead development team has been discussing migrating the KiCad
> project to GitLab[1].

For packagers, I'm curious as to how creating an archive from a tag would work.
 Currently, to grab the source from launchpad, we use a URL like:

https://launchpad.net/kicad/5.0/%{version}/+download/kicad-%{version}.tar.xz

where %{version} is a Fedora macro that expands to the desired version.  This
apparently works because Wayne explicitly uploads the tarball to launchpad.

For github, we use:

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc/archive/%{version}.tar.gz

This works because github has an API that creates the tarball on-demand.

I found some references regarding how this works in GitLab.  For example,
please see Issue 38830:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/issues/38830

According to that issue, you can request a tarball from GitLab, similarly to
what you would do with GitHub.  However, when you request a tarball of a tag,
the SHA will be part of the filename.  Worse, the top level directory will also
contain the SHA.

This will complicate packaging, because we'll need to know the expected SHAs
for each of the 7 repos, and rename the directories as the tarballs are
unpacked.  Or I suppose we could use wildcards to achieve the same thing.  It
is certainly doable, but it is a bit ugly.

        Steve