Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 05:28:07PM -0400, Brian Piccioni wrote:

> Do you use Visual Studio to compile Kicad? If so, how? I’m not very good with
> things like cmake and I’ve tried and tried to get KiCad (or even just PCBNew)
> to compile with Visual Studio and end up with various problems I can’t solve
> like missing packages, etc..

I'm still doing automatic Visual Studio builds on Jenkins, and I think I've
found all places where I need to do "@echo on" so all commands show up in
the build logs.

There is a vcpkg based build[1] that is missing a few packages, but you can
probably lift the vcpkg incantations and the cmake integration of vcpkg
from there.

There is also a everything-from-scratch Visual Studio build[2] that pulls
in all required packages as artifacts and gives them to cmake in a way that
it understands, which sometimes are cmake variables and sometimes
environment variables.

I'd probably get started with vcpkg, and then add the missing packages from
the everything-from-scratch recipes. The required packages are collected on
a separate page[3] on my Jenkins installation.

If you really want to do a good deed, you can make vcpkg packages from the
missing stuff and submit them.

   Simon

[1] https://jenkins.simonrichter.eu/job/windows-kicad-msvc-vcpkg/
[2] https://jenkins.simonrichter.eu/job/windows-kicad-msvc-head/