Hello i use KiCad 4 months now and find it a real modern hi-end CAD system,
but i think that the component and footprint databases are not
coressponding to the hi-end soul of Kicad.
It is obvious that we cant have all the component and footprints present
, but i would like to start a discussion about  the need  of an web
service on the Kicad component site for ONLINE search for components ,
footprints and the upload , download and viewing  of them , creating a
really big database where everyone could participate and contribute.
 I know that this is hard to accomplish , but I think that an open
discussion about this would be helpful .

Cheers

p.s. i am not sure is this the right way about adding a new topic on the
forum so apologies if i have something stupid