No, it's a case of US and rest-of-the-world.  As an American, I don't
give a rat's ass what some standards committee says (especially if
they're in another country), I prefer the zigzag resistors and other
US-preferred symbols, and apparently most other Americans do too, as
these symbols are still predominately used here.

Personally, I created my own symbols and saved them in my own personal
library.  It doesn't take long to draw a zigzag resistor symbol in Kicad.

Besides, standards committees are basically useless.  Just look at how
useless the ISO was when MS came in and paid off a bunch of European
countries to approve their broken OOXML "standard".  Standards
committees and their recommendations should be taken with a large
grain of salt.

Dan