Hi,

I think, this is not the main intention of KICAD, but as of the
availability of spice samples, is there also a way to use KICAD for
FPGA design?

Say, I would use a sub sheet to enter a group of logic to be placed
into a FPGA (reduced set of symbols only) and a tool that
translates the usual netlist into a VHDL file.

A possible attempt may be supporting the 74XX series of IC's or some
to most of them to be known in a translation tool based
on the netlist. A barrier to the outer circuit (the pins of a FPGA)
would be all these wires, contacting unsupported components,
eg, they could not translated to be in a FPGA design, but in the outer
area.

Using the sub sheet would be a helper in separating FPGA related logic
from the outer area. (I think I could not distinguish between
signals on different sheets in a netlist, thus I don't see the pins
that connects sheets)

While this could be tried with the plain netlist, a netlist in XML
format would be another option to enable various transformations.

Is this possible?

There are other tools available for this, but a first step entry with
KICAD would be fine, as I work on Mac OS X and there are less
EDA tools available (known by me).

Thanks

Lothar

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration | http://www.lollisoft.de