Select the small drill point option in the plot requester, and then plot
as POSTSCRIPT.

For some reason when using normal printing the drill size always seems to
be the actual drill size rather than just a small point.

Gerber files will have a filled in pad, as that is what is required by
PCB houses.

I then display and print the postscript files using the Evince
utility (SUSE 11.1 Linux)

Andy