Thanks Mike.

But surely if you select the 'B' part for instance in the part browser,
then click on the Place on schematic button, it should place the 'B'
part, not the 'A' ?   Or am I expecting too much?

Editing it after the fact is posible, but again not intuitive (or quick)
in that they are caled 1, 2, 3, etc, not A, B, C and so on.

I also had fun placing wires.  More often than not causing the schematic
editor to crash with all data lost.

The problem comes when trying to end the wire, more often than not, I
end up moving the component (or components) so connected, not ending the
wire at the component's node.   Trying to re-place that in the correct
place, often causes a brief pause, then the "...has encounterd a probelm
and needs to close" dialog.

I found that there is a shortcut key to begin a wire ('W')  But no
shortcut to end a wire.  So, I tried to create one, using the 'X' key.
Instant editor crash, each and every time.   Also, the shortcut needs to
be "Wire End", not "End Wire" as might be expected, as the 'W' shortcut
is "Begin Wire".

Running on XP Pro, single core cpu, SP3 all up to date.  on a Toshiba
M30 laptop, 1.5G memory.

Any other hints please?

Dave B.