I am just flagging this as a possible problem...

Just as a test I tried the 2010-03-14-svn-R2456-final-UBUNTU_9.10.tgz

I run SUSE, so I WAS expecting problems. Normally I load the CENTOS
version without any problems which is not yet available as a binary
install.

On running it failed, and gave a short error message, it said it needed
libc.so.6, in  GLIBCXX 3. something  I can't remember the exact version.

The install.txt only mentions the requirement of libc.so.6, which is the
same as for the 2009-02-16 version that I normally run without problems.

This may be a UBUNTU specific issue, or maybe something else.
if libc.so.6 is already available, then crashing out with a GLIB version
issue does not seem correct. Of course it may be looking for something
else as well.

The install txt also mentions the chmod command, but on the kicad/linux
directory, I think this should be the kicad/bin directory as per the
previous version.

Andy