welcom Lauri,

When you say "trying to add" I am assuming that you mean a part in
eeschema rather than a module in pcbnew.

Are you drawing the part from scratch, or have you found a part from
another source and you are trying to import it?

Another common mistake is that when you place a unit of a multi-part
package, you always get part A placed. To change to one of the other
parts, right click on the part A, and select

edit component > part

>From there you can select whichever part you want.

Andy