> GND symbol on the other, Kicad will auto assign to the GND net?

Correct, same with VSS and so on. I often dot VSS power ports over the
circuit for things like pull up resistors.

More generally this will happen to ANY symbol that you use
that is in the power port library, so there are VDD, VSS GND and so on.

For auto connection, any pin on a device that has the same name as a
power port pin will get connected to that particular net.

Andy