On 4 April 2010 22:01, marcmendezbermond <marcmen...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> Progressing on my project, I have a question about component/library
> management.
>
> The "Component list" feature of eeschema is quite convenient but is there a
> way to accelerate data input ? I would like to use custom fields of
> components to store manufacturer, part number, ordering info and doing it a
> component at a time is quite annoying ...
>
> My idea would be to input this straight in my custom library, then using its
> symbols would replicate those info to my schematic.
>
> In the end, when I inserting a 2SK1058 mosfet that would result in a
> component with Manufacturer field set to Hitachi, Part No 2SK1058, Ordering
> No 1234567 in my favorite store, and so on ...
>
> Thanks in advance for pointing me out any method,
> M.

I have submitted a patch to start supporting custom field names for
components. i.e. instead of Field1, you could set it to Manufacturer,
or Farnell Part Number, or whatever you like without having to do this
separately for every component you generate in libedit.

It should be in SVN at some point in the near future, and I expect
some other patches along these lines too. There are more patches to
help make KiCad able to support a heavy symbol system (One where all
information is present in the library component)

Best Regards,

Brian.