One thing the router on gEDA allows that kicad doesn't is true arcs on
the copper layers.   I *think* Toporouter (which is what the OP wants to
play with) also uses true arcs.   I can't think of any reason why this
would be important on a standard PCB, but on flexis true arcs are
preferable.

I guess all that's needed in Kicad is a gEDA PCB netlist plugin.   I
asked about this myself a while back but got no responses, so presumably
there isn't one already written.

As for the original post, when I saw it I did check my copy of PCB to
see if it made any mention of Toporouter.   I couldn't find any
reference to it in the menus, so I guess to use it the OP will have to
roll his own copy of PCB.   Sounds like a lot of work to me...

Regards,

Robert.