I am trying to import some existing Gerbers into PCBNew via GerbView.
This mostly works very well, but for some reason even though the Gerbers
display correctly in GerbView, in the resulting .brd file some surface
mount pads are missing, as are the copper parts of all the vias.   The
relevant D codes are D16, D17, and D20.   Does anyone know what I'm
doing wrong?

Having imported the Gerbers I want to run a DRC to check the track
spacing.   However, the board always passes the DRC even if I set all
the track spacing definitions to something way to big.   Any ideas?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a free Gerber tool that will perform
a DRC directly on the Gerbers?   I just want to know if the track
spacing is <0.2mm at any point.

Regards,

Robert.