Yes, his name is Devid Spagni - see
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-users/message/6928.   He's
aware of the problems, but I don't think he is actively working on
TTConv.   He has said that TTConv needs a lot of work.   The original
Python scripts are here if you fancy sorting them out yourself:
http://www.mige.altervista.org/index.php?mod=Download/Kicad_Utility.

I would agree that it would be nice to have an easy to use import
facility, preferably from the kicad File menu, but it's a matter of
finding the time to write it.   The method needs to be cross-platform.
   Graphics import can be done right now (using cross-platform tools),
but the methods are ugly.   The method I would recommend for bitmaps is
to convert the image to an ASCII PBM using Gimp, and then use the AWK
script I re-posted.   Have you tried that?   This is a lot quicker and
easier than editing someone else's scripts :), even if you have to
download and install gimp and cygwin.

Robert.