When the master and 5.0 branches are fairly close, as they are, things like bug fixes can be committed to either and then copied to the other branch, without a problem.  Things can get tricky when some major change has been introduced to master branch. so some bug fix to 5.0 no longer applies cleanly to master because the relevant code base has changed.  In fact, it then is possible that a bug fix to 5.0 is not even relevant in master, if the relevant code has changed enough.