I thought there had been a (relatively) recent change to allow investment transactions to not need a brokerage account if there was zero amount (i.e, fees equal to the investment amount) but I can't find anything in the git log about it. I do see Bug 408692 which mentions this, but it is still marked as REPORTED.

The reason I noticed this is that I have one investment account which has only one annual transaction - the annual fee is taken by selling exactly enough of the only security in the account. In the past, this resulted in a $0 transaction showing up in the associated brokerage account. I just entered the annual transact (by duplicating last year's, and adjusting the amounts.) Not only does the transaction not appear in the Brokerage account, there is no value in the brokerage account field. However, if I edit the transaction, the brokerage account DOES show up, but is apparently not saved if the account has a zero total. In addition, this year's transaction looks different from last year's in the ledger (I've attached a screen shot) and the category for the fee is listed twice, but the memo is not listed.

As it is really just a cosmetic issue, I suppose I'll file a wishlist for the two transactions to look more similar, and probably to allow the zero amount split to go to the brokerage account (user choice, I think it should be allowed as well as not being required). My question here is why would not haveing that extra split cause the appearance in the ledger to change? (Note that if I edit and save the older transaction (making and reversing some edit to the memo, for example) it gets saved like the new transaction - without the entry for the brokerage account.

Jack