On Samstag, 6. Januar 2024 18:24:47 CET Jack via KMyMoney-devel wrote:

> On 1/6/24 12:17, Jonathan Kimmitt wrote:
> > Yes, it is present and has version GNC Importer Version 5.1.3-33a66be8a.
> > Under OSX it’s in KMyMoney preferences instead of Setting
> >
> > It’s probably something stupid like an account or payee name with an & in
> > is represented unadorned in the XML whereas KMyMoney requires &
> That is certainly possible, but I'll have to look into the code to see
> what exactly triggers that particular error message.  If you are right,
> then we would want to find a utility that checks XML files for proper
> encoding/markup (I can't think of the exact term right now.)

Encoding and structure are the two important things. xmllint would be the tool
to use.

I scanned the GNC plugin's open() call real quick. Here is what it checks:

- file is not a database (e.g. SQL, SQLite, ...)
- file is on local drive (url starts with file://)
- file is readable
- if file is gzip compressed (first two bytes are "\037\213") it re-opens it
  for decompression
- first bytes in file are not "SQ"
- the first 70 bytes of the file must contain the regex "<gnc-v(\\d+)"

In case all that is true, a dialog is shown. This contains a switch
to turn on debug messages which are printed to the console (in case
KMyMoney was started via terminal) while the file is parsed. Now I have
two questions: Does the dialog is shown? Do these debug messages provide
any hint or details why the import fails?

Thomas

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

Ilde servers are the devil's work -- robbyoconnor on #irc