Hi Oliver,

by default, all changes to the zone, including DNSSEC signing, are immediately flushed into zonefile. Thus, if you simply set dnssec-signing to off, Knot stops signing the zone, but the signatures from before remain in the zone. You can then remove them from the zonefile (using a text editor - delete lines with "DNSKEY", "CDS", "CDSNKEY", "RRSIG" and "NSEC") and reload the zone (stop-start server or knotc zone-reload...).

If you already have a DS record in the parent zone, it's needed to tell them to remove it, *before* you turn off signing. The canonical way to do it is publishing the delete-CDS/CDNSKEY record by turning cds-cdnskey-publish to delete-dnssec, and wait until the parent zone notices and reacts.

You choose propagation-delay arbitrarily, but remember to keep it at safe value for common resolvers.

BR,

Libor