Hello!

I have a Knot 3.2.5 server running here which, for most zones, acts as a
bump-in-the-wire signer, and it's doing exactly what I expect it to do.

The same server carries a few secondary zones which are not signed, and I
notice that when Knot transfers these zones in, it doesn't NOTIFY its
secondaries, something which works fine for DNSSEC signed zones.

The following configuration is in place:

remote:
  - id: pdns
    address: 192.168.25.45@53
    key: dsupload
    block-notify-after-transfer: on  # <-------
    automatic-acl: on

template:
  - id: default
    zonefile-load: difference
    file: "%s"
    serial-policy: dateserial
    master: pdns
    catalog-role: member
    catalog-zone: katz1
    acl: [ xfr, notify_from_pdns, xfer_to_bind ]
    notify: [ s1, s2, s3 ]

policy:
  - id: manualHSM
    manual: on
    keystore: thales
    cds-cdnskey-publish: rollover
    ksk-submission: ds_checker
    ds-push: pdns

zone:
  - domain: sig.example
    dnssec-policy: manualHSM
    dnssec-signing: on

  - domain: notsig.example
    dnssec-signing: off

When sig.example is transferred in, Knot signs it, NOTIFYs its secondaries
(s1--s3), they XFR the zone and all's well.

When the unsigned notsig.example is transferred in, the logs indicate Knot is
seeing the new serial, and that's it; the secondaries are not NOTIFYd. (I can
manually `knotc notify', but that's not the point.)

Setting `block-notify-after-transfer: off' on the remote remediates this. Knot
then does NOTIFY its secondaries for the unsigned zone (and for the signed
zone).

The documentation states:

        "When incoming AXFR/IXFR from this remote (as a primary server),
        suppress sending NOTIFY messages to all configured secondary servers."

However, if I swich it off (i.e. enable notification), I do not see the NOTIFY
when knot initially transfers the unsigned zone which is then signed and hence
then notified.

Is this behavior expected, and have I interpreted it correctly?

Thanks & best regards,

        -JP