On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 6:03 AM libor.peltan <libor.pel...@nic.cz> wrote:

> Hi Matt!
>
> Thank you for your findings, this is really interesting.
>
> First of all, your claim in parentheses "(sjc.dns-oarc.net
> <http://sjc.dns-oarc.net> is a real subdomain with hosts in it, not an
> ENT)" seems not to be true. It is proven by NSEC that this name is
> indeed an ENT. But this of course does not affect the issue importance.

Ugh.. I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that.  Yes, clearly
sjc.dns-oarc.net owns no records.

> I analyzed the DNSViz output in detail and it shows that while the name
> servers ns1.dns-oarc.net. and ns2.dns-oarc.net, actually do answer
> correctly, including the mentioned NSEC, the name servers
> udns1.ultradns.net. and udns2.ultradns.net. answer incorrectly, not
> including that NSEC.

Ah!  It looks like I overlooked some of the detail in the hover text on the
graph view.  I saw the absence of the necessary NSEC, but missed that it
was limited to only some servers.  Thanks for pointing that out.

> I tried it by hand and indeed, the problem is solely at ultradns servers:
>
> Looking at the output, there is a (redundant) NSEC proving the
> non-existence of the wildcard *.dns-oarc.net. instead(!): dns-oarc.net.
>            3600    IN      NSEC    fs1.10g.dns-oarc.net. A NS SOA MX TXT
> AAAA RRSIG NSEC DNSKEY CDS CDNSKEY CA
>
> This remind me of a similar issue that we have fixed in Knot DNS some
> years ago, but I con't find it at the moment, it seems that what we have
> fixed is wildcard answers in connection with CNAMEs/DNAMEs and stuff,
> but not this straightforward situation...
>
> In any case, you should probably tell UltraDNS to use recent versions of
> whatever software they use.

I'm fairly sure they're still using their own in-house server software.
I'll report this to their support and see what happens.

Thanks Libor!